Tuesday, January 28, 2014

On automatically inducing ontologies


It would be a lot more to induce ontologies if we agreed on what it meant have a good ontology.  I claim the crafting a good ontology is an AI- hard or in another words a human-hard task.  I've been a little bit surprised in the last few years of the numbers of request for proposals for the automatic induction of ontologies.  I would've much rather seen that money spent on us deciding what it meant to do good data model design.  Once we know what a good ontology is, we can properly judge attempts to automatically induce such things. But it's clear to me that the automatic induction of  ontologies is also NLP-hard.  And Google Translate isn't going to get us  to full natural language understanding or anything close to it.  I claim this will require handcrafted ontologies.  So the bottom line to me is that once we've completely modeled our practical world will be prepared to automatically induce that model.

No comments:

Post a Comment